Thursday, January 29, 2009

New chapter: "What's going on, life?"

So most of  you don't know my current situation. It all changed so fast.  Last thursday I was in Brazil by my husband's side happy as could be, and today, this thursday, I am back in Boise and NOT by my husband's side.  A string of events took place that created our current situation. I'll try to explain it the best I can. 

While Jorge was in Sao Roque (never neverland...) he spent his 30th birthday there. His age weighed heavily on him and his ambitions for life that hadn't been fufilled yet, he did not enjoy his job anymore, was unhappy there which lead him into serious life reflection. Together we had made goals for him to finish his degree in HR administration (which will be done this june),  for him to speak english fluently (he is working so hard!:) and at the end of the year, or more truthfully it was "SOMEDAY" go back to the USA to finish my degree and for Jorge to start a degree here as well.  These were all great goals, and some were to be acheived sooner than others. BUT, while he was carried away into deep reflection, upon his return home from working far away we had a discussion where he told me that it would be much better to get our life started in the USA SOONER than later, because we're both not getting any younger, and the idea of being 30 really freaked him out. haha... but it's true. There is always opportunity where there is faith in the Lord, but, still he was afraid that those doors of opportunity would soon start to shut if we procrastinated fulfilliing our goals for a few more years. **and Iwould just like to say how much I admire my husband's ambition and his unwillingness to just "settle", but to reach and strive to be better**
So, then we decided that we would go back to the U.S in June after his graduation.  I figured that his immigration papers would take a few months at least, so we started to figure out the process, and visited the consulate to get more info on the matter. There, we were shockingly advised that for me to be able to petition for his entry into the U.S, I would have to send the petition FROM the United States because I was not a permanent resident of Brazil. Anyway... it's a long boring story full of a bunch of bureaucratic policy and procedures, but either way I would have to be in the US to get my husband's immigration visa. 

SOO... we had a big decision to make.  Either we 1. Stay in Brazil forever 2.  Stay in Brazil and apply for my permanant residency and wait for that to go through before I am able to petition for his entry (who knows how long that would take)  or 3. Me return to the U.S alone and get everything going for him... paper work, a job, a house to live in, college...etc.

Option number one would go against the goals we set for our life. Option number two would put a major set-back on the goals we set for our life and option  number three would be the logical thing to do... but it would just be horrible to be seperated before we even reached our two month anniversery. I had been tested the week Jorge was away to see how I could deal with seperation from my husband... let me tell you,  that was probably one of the hardest things ever. I don't think I passed that test.  So H.F is giving us another "opportunity for growth"( so I have to keep reminding myself), to be able to acheive all the things we want for our lives, and to bless the lives of the people in our family and future family, we decided to go through with it.  We received answers to prayers quite quickly and I don't regret the decision we made, but I must say it is hard. The honeymoon is over... figuratively, and well, literally as well (at least for next few months). Life is hard and full of trials, but like my friend Rory reminded me in her blog awhile ago, that "trials are experiences that can bring refining."  I don't know the specifics of what the outcome will be for going through this, but I know the process is necessary and this will be a time to rely greatly on the Lord for strength and guidance. Life is too short to make the wrong choices, and with His help we can be guided to make the right ones. (I hope!!!...oh me of little faith...)
So, I am in Boise away from my husband, as hard as that is already, AND trying to get another semester of school under my belt, trying to find employment (good luck to me in this crisis) and find a roof over our heads that my husband and I can call a HOME. *SIGH*
Although I am far away from the one I love, it is soo nice to be with my family again, my mom has been SOO incredibly supportive and helpful and a nice distration from the lonliness that I sometimes feel.  Thanks to SKYPE, Jorge and I talk every single day, and that helps me be strong too.  He is like a sensitive teddy bear and I know he cries without me there... (hehe). But he is being the strong and steady priesthood holder, the optimist, the enthusiast, and my inspiration to continue on- to which I am grateful for because if he ever doubted for one minute or said to me "I miss you please come home"... I would be there the next day, no questions asked.  The seperation will be for our refining. And this is the new chapter in the life of the Andrade's. 

3 comments:

RORYJEAN said...

Wow! Props to you both for choosing the responsible yet (gulp) DIFFICULT path. I cannot imagine being away from Cameron for a week, let alone a semester. You are such a strong person. I hope that time flies for you, and that this decision and sacrifice brings many blessing to your lives. If you ever need someone to talk or vent to, I'm just a phone call away. Also, Cameron has Jorge beat- he turned 30 last October, and he's still just in the beginning parts of his career. You're only as old as you feel, right?

Christy said...

Wow Krista!! I am happy and sad for you! You are in America, like 3 1/2 hours away! But I am sure you are feeling sad without your other half. I hope time flies for the both of you and you can be together soon! You are so strong and have been through a lot, but I know the Lord will bless you both through this. Are your plans then to go back to school? Well I love you so much, I am also just a phone call away!
woah, I just realied, Jorge, Cameron and Ryan are all 30! Crazy, we have old husband's...haha jk!

Ashlie said...

Um, holy crow! That is nuts, Krista. Wow. I hate it when Chris is gone for a day. Yikes. I'm also here if you need anything. My husband is 33 if it makes you feel better :)